At Visit Isle Of Wight we are committed to promoting sustainable travel to all our visitors. Visit Isle of Wight in partnership with the Isle of Wight Council is delivering a variety of projects as part of a £450,000 sustainable transport programme funded by the Department for Transport for the current financial year.
The programme is part of a wider programme delivering sustainable transport initiatives which improve journeys to work and school, together with improved access to visitor experiences and support with travel for jobseekers.
Our current projects include the Travel Ambassador Green Star Scheme, Walking and Cycling initiatives and the Travel Ambassador Work Experience programme. Our Drive Less Se More brand continues to be utilised. For more details on each project please see below.
Destination Walking and Cycling
We will establish Destination Walking and Cycling, a project which will position the Isle of Wight as the ‘go to’ UK visitor destination for walking and cycling experiences. Destination Walking and Cycling will include a package of consumer facing initiatives which put walking and cycling at the heart of the visitor experience including an expanded series of walking and cycling festivals, routes and digital information which facilitate the sustainable exploration of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
- Position the Isle of Wight as the ‘go to’ UK visitor destination for walking and cycling experiences
- Deliver a package of consumer facing initiatives which put walking and cycling at the heart of the visitor experience
- Work with festival organisers to embed the delivery of walking and cycling experiences into existing festivals and/or continue to deliver existing Walking and Cycling Festivals.
- Deliver additional routes and digital information which facilitate the sustainable exploration of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB).
- Through a programme of research and customer retention, build on evidence which suggests that recreational sustainable transport experiences undertaken on holiday lead to increased propensity to build sustainable transport into everyday utility journeys when back home
Tourism Business engagement Scheme (Green Star)
Car-free engagement activity delivered through LSTF2 focused on direct interaction with visitors, and much of this activity is now embedded as ‘business as usual’ within destination marketing, reducing the requirement for ongoing public sector support. For 16/17 the focus of our visitor sector interventions will shift from consumer to industry, providing skills and accessibility improvements for business and employees so that they are better placed to champion sustainable transport to our customers. We will deploy Travel Ambassadors to deliver a Tourism Business Engagement Programme to 500 accommodation providers on the Isle of Wight, targeting business owners and employees and providing them with the collaterals and training that they need. This approach is in line with Visit Isle of Wight’s Destination Management Plan Objective around encouraging innovation and industry investment.
- Devise a compelling Tourism Business Engagement Programme for delivery during 16/17 but with capacity to exist beyond the funding period and be scalable.
- Through the Programme, deliver sustainable travel awareness, training and skills to 500 accommodation providers on the Island
- Encourage accommodation providers to use these new skills to onward communicate to their employees and guests.
- Generate a reduction in private car trips associated with the visitor economy
If you would like to discuss in further detail please contact:
LSTF Visitor Project Manager – Visit Isle of Wight Ltd
Isle of Wight
Phone: (01983) 521555 EXT 31