Press Officer – Visit Isle of Wight Ltd
The Guildhall, High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 1TY
Telephone (01983) 521555 EXT 29 (Mobile 07495 408226)
Visit our award winning holiday website: www.visitisleofwight.co.uk
Twitter: @VisitIOW / @VisitWightPro / @LastMinuteWight
We generate media coverage through a number of channels, including:
- Organising press trips for journalists. We arrange trips for high-profile journalists who have been commissioned to write features on the Island. The journalists cover all kinds of different angles, including cycling around the Island, taking a family holiday here, the Island as a foodie destination and a cool culture hub. (click here for more)
- Liaising with the media. The Press Team often receives requests from newspapers, radio and television production companies who require assistance gathering information on the Island. These requests come in all different forms, and can include anything from image and interview requests, to searching for the most suitable location to film a documentary. When requests such as these come in, we liaise with our contacts at businesses across the Island to provide the media with the most suitable and comprehensive answers, as well as gaining maximum media coverage for the businesses involved.
- Attending ‘Meet the Media’ events. Through attending events such as these the Press Team is able to create and build relationships with various high profile journalists and media contacts. Through networking with the most influential media professionals and learning about different trends and directions, we can better judge which Island news will be more interesting to the media and therefore likelier to gain wider coverage.
Recent media coverage highlights:
- Jamie Magazine. The Isle of Wight was recently featured as a ‘gourmet island getaway’ in the fantastic August edition of Jamie Oliver’s ‘Jamie Magazine’. The foodie feature included many Island businesses, including The Mess Canteen and Bar, The Little Gloster, The George Hotel, Ventnor Haven Fishery and The Crab Shed. The estimated publicity value of the piece was approximately £312,592.47. Click here to view a sample.
- Outdoor Fitness. ‘1 island, 67 miles, 48 hours’ was the title of this 5-page feature on hiking round the Island. The piece followed a press trip arranged by the Press Team, and carries an estimated publicity value of £36,000. Click here to view a sample.
- Reizen. A 7-page glossy travel feature on the Island appeared in the Dutch magazine, Reizen, following a press trip arranged by the VIOW Press Team. The magazine has an audience of 165,000 per issue, and carried an estimated publicity value of £79,317. Click here to view a sample.
- Woman Magazine. Highly respected travel journalist, Wendy Johnson, recently visited the Island to write a double page feature. The piece, which went out in the July issue of the magazine, was seen by an audience of 257,000 and generated an estimated publicity value of £114,300. Click here to view a sample.
Got a story to tell?
If you are an Isle of Wight tourism business with an interesting news story, please send details to email@example.com along with one high resolution image (maximum 3mb). We receive information requests every day, so please do keep us up to date with your stories – the more information we have about events, openings and news across the Island, the better! (And the greater the chance of the Island being featured.). Send your details through to firstname.lastname@example.org telephone 01983 521555 ext 29