Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award
Tackling climate change is one of the biggest challenges we all face.
Green tourism is increasing with travellers and trade organisations now looking for destinations, attractions and activities that can prove a level of eco-awareness, sustainable operations, and have excellent green credentials.
Sustainable tourism is holidaying in an eco, green and environmentally friendly way. Responsible tourism is considering the wider impact your trip could have on the place you are visiting.
The IOW Green Tourism Award, coordinated by Visit Isle of Wight, aims to celebrate Island businesses that are making every effort to reduce their carbon footprint, promote sustainable travel and champion green initiatives, boosting green, sustainable, and responsible tourism for the Isle of Wight.
The Green Tourism Award is open to any business that is a BID Levy payer or voluntary contributor. If your business is not one of these, a voluntary contribution is required, which starts from £150 plus vat per year.
Take a look at the information below, then fill out this online survey (make sure you answer all questions in full) http://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/IOW-Green-Tourism-Award
The Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award can support your corporate social responsibility objectives.
How does the Green Tourism Award scheme work?
The award is based around three themes, people, place, and our planet. These themes are to promote sustainable and responsible tourism on the Isle of Wight. Under each theme there are four criteria to meet – for additional information and suggestions, click here.
- Staff involvement
- Sustainable travel
- Climate change action plan or socially responsible ethos
- Dedicated facilities for walkers or dog owners
- Promoting local sustainable activities
- Promote a car free travel
- Sourcing local produce
- Promote the AONB and Biosphere areas
- Energy efficiency
- Water saving
- Reduce, reuse and recycle
- Biodiversity offsetting
There are three levels of the scheme, bronze, silver, and gold. You must meet the above criteria (this can be made up from any theme) to be recognised for an Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award. Each criterion is worth one point. The points per award are as follows:
- 4 – 6 points = Bronze
- 7 – 9 points = Silver
- 10 – 12 points = Gold
What are the benefits of joining the Green Tourism Award scheme?
As an Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award member, we believe that you should be rewarded for your contribution to promoting sustainable and responsible tourism on the Isle of Wight and protecting the environment. The following benefits apply to the various levels of membership.
- Joint and collaborative marketing opportunities which includes;
- Feature on our sustainable travel webpages on visit Isle of Wight
- Included in online sustainability blogs
- Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award certificate
- Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award logo – to be used to promote to your customers
All of the bronze benefits, plus…
- Shared content on our dedicated social channels
- Opportunities for advertising and editorial in Visit Isle of Wight’s sustainability e-newsletter
All of the above, plus…
- Opportunities for additional PR, for example to host bloggers in exchange for coverage
- Be a member of the Green Travel bus pass scheme (launching in 2023)
How do I sign up?
Entering for an award is simple. All you need to do is complete the online form to provide evidence against the criteria you wish to be considered for and Visit Isle of Wight will be in touch to verify your application. Please make sure you answer all questions in full.
Who to contact about the Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award
If you have any questions about the Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
For examples and additional information of how you could gain an Isle of Wight Green Tourism Award, follow this link: https://visitwightpro.com/2023/04/14/iow-green-tourism-award-additional-information/