March – June – October 2017
WELLNESS BREAKS – Late spring, early summer and autumn short breaks
This campaign capitalises on the surge in interest in wellness breaks. It will focus on encouraging people to visit and therefore feel better in mind, body or spirit. It includes Isle Walk 2017, yoga retreats, spa breaks, spiritual escapes, cultural courses, therapies, healthy eating, physical activities (including IW Festival of Running) and relaxing breaks. Gardens will also be included in the lead up to the Wight in Bloom competition.
Marketing will include digital, press trips, packages, competitions, social media, editorial features and advertising.
Healthy breaks – ‘Wellness Tourism’ – have rocketed in popularity in recent years. In the UK, the market was worth £9.5 billion in 2012 and generated 17.8 million trips. And while wellness is about living healthily, it also includes mental, emotional, social and spiritual health.
Wellness tourism is particularly significant for coastal towns. The seaside is unquestionably a healthy holiday destination and widely perceived as such, giving coastal tourism businesses massive opportunities. These tourists like to take short breaks, tend to travel in the off-peak season and are usually high-spending, making them a prime target for growth.
As with all our thematic and cluster campaigns, participation for WIGHT BID, voluntary contributors and approved marketing partners is free. To make sure you’re product details and packages are included in this campaign, look at the list of “what we’re looking for” below.
What are we looking for?
- Learning breaks/courses – this could be painting, yoga, photography, mindfulness or general wellness breaks, anything where you learn something new and stretch your mind.
- Spas breaks and treatments
- Restaurants/cafes/pubs serving healthy food, local produce
- Outdoor activities – kayaking, sailing, climbing, golf etc – anything that people can come and do together or on their own
- Garden openings, short courses or talks relating to gardening
- Inspirational viewpoints/walks recommended by you.
- Entertainment – recommendations of good local music/theatre/comedy on throughout the Island
- Information about what’s on in our cultural institutions, churches etc
If you have products, news, packages, offers or experiences that you would like to feature in this campaign please send your details through to Abi@visitwight.org (telephone 01983 521555 EXT 22).
Further thoughts on Wellness: Read the National Coastal Tourism Academy introduction to Wellness Tourism here.