Day 1 Feedback From The Wight BID Discussion Group
A very positive session today at Newclose Cricket Ground – below are a few points raised from todays meeting…
Thank you to everyone who attended today’s meetings – the meetings over the next few days will serve to build a bigger picture of what Wight BID levy payers see as key objectives for Visit Isle of Wight to deliver with the Year 2 Wight BID fund.
A list of the remaining dates, plus the opportunity to book at one of the sessions is at the bottom of this page! Click here to read more on the background.
Some points raised by Wight BID levy payers from today’s meeting.
- it is important to think about day trippers to the Island, not just the overnight stays, however accessibility to travel around the Island is of importance.
- look at encouraging specialist markets to the Island – weddings, older stag and hen parties, book clubs, bird watchers etc
- marketing at travel hubs such as airports and train stations and working with carriers to reinforce that message
- a way to get a greater slice of the overseas market could be to encourage Isle of Wight resident to bring friends and family here
- key to get the message that the Isle of Wight is open all year round out to the public
- businesses should look at their own websites to ensure they are up to date with information
- the provision of more Visit Isle of Wight Toolkits to assist businesses on marketing themselves to repeat customers
- digital marketing is still on the way up, however printed material was still a valuable resource
- Christmas and New Year was considered a key time to have a strong promotional push but maintain a drip feed throughout the year to capture last minute/impulse bookings
- attendance at exhibitions is still seen as a valuable source of bookings
- events on the Island – such as the Walking Festival, Ventnor Fringe, Pride etc – are seen as important to the Island’s tourist economy. It was also felt important that notification of the events should happen as early as possible to include them as promotional material
- much support for a destination management organisation to co-ordinate the promotion of the Isle of Wight
The remaining meetings are still open – book your free place now!
- Thursday 5th October 12pm-2pm at Hotel Ryde Castle
- Friday 6th October 12.30pm-2.30pm at West Wight Sports and Community Centre
- Monday 9th October 12pm-2pm at Shanklin Conservative Club
- Tuesday 10th October 12.30pm-2.30pm at Browns, Sandown
Thank you Newclose County Cricket Ground for hosting today’s event – great venue!