UPDATE FROM ISLAND ROADS – 13 APRIL 2015
We will now be posting regular updates from Island Roads to keep you informed of their upgrades and improvements to the Island’s road network. Please see the latest news from Island Roads below:
Important news update from Island Roads
As part of our seven year programme of work to improve and upgrade the Island’s road network we are currently embarking on the most intensive period of surfacing work that the Island has ever seen. As per our contract this will involve the surfacing of roads of all types (major and minor) across the Island between March and September (and beyond, weather permitting). Whilst this will inevitably cause some disruption, we are working hard to try and minimise the impact for local residents and businesses. We are:
– updating our website regularly so that it is a useful and reliable source of information on our works around the Island – visit www.iwight.com to find out about works in your area so you and your guests can be kept informed
– writing to residents and businesses in advance in areas where are work is taking place and placing yellow information signs on site to ensure your informed of work dates
– reviewing our traffic management signage to try and make diversions clearer and promote access to businesses, where we can provide access
– announcing major schemes via the media to help keep the wider public and visitors informed
Important: During our works, we will not always be able to maintain vehicular access to premises as we are working with heavy machinery and hot surfacing products making it unsafe for public vehicles to be on site. However, we will always do our upmost to maintain pedestrian access and of course access for emergency services. Please do alert your guests about any access restrictions that you are made aware of and of the need to park their vehicles outside of the work sites as this will help us to complete our works quickly so we can open up the road for use once again. Any vehicles left within live work sites will be removed and relocated and Island Roads may administer a charge for having to relocate vehicles should they need to do so. If vehicles are moved by Island Roads they can be located by calling 01983 822440 and providing registration details.
We have an important job to do to improve the Island’s roads which we know will bring many benefits in the long-term for Island residents and businesses, however we also recognise that you have a crucial job to do to as accommodation providers and tourism businesses and we want to work with you as much as possible to try and support our collective aims. Whilst we can’t promise to do everything asked of us, we are happy to discuss your concerns and try and accommodate what we can during our works.
If you have any concerns about forthcoming works and wish to discuss them with us, please contact us at email@example.com or call us on 01983 822440. Our mobile visitor centre will also be visiting a variety of locations (listed below) so do come along and see us and we will do our best to answer any questions that you might have.
1st May – St James Square, Newport
15th May – The Cut, Cowes
22nd May – Market Square (by Waitrose), East Cowes
5th June – Yarmouth, main car park
26th June – St Thomas Street car park, Ryde
10th July – Orchardleigh Road car park, Shanklin
24th July – The Heights Car Park, Sandown
7th August – Central car park, Ventnor
21st August – Moa Place car park, Freshwater
Please see recent news updates that Island Roads have posted on their website by clicking on the below headings:
* Round the clock work to ensure road fit for prestigious cycle event…
* Island Roads pleased to create new temporary access for Arreton Barns businesses and primary school…
Thank you in advance for your patience during our works and we hope that the improvements we make in your area will ensure better roads for you and your visitors for years to come.